travel advice & savings
1 reply
Nicaraguan wantign 2 work in Europe
gvlatinboi's profile picture
New Member
New Member
Eurotrip Points: 30
Member: 2660
Joined: 01/03/2007
User offline. Last seen 16 years 39 weeks ago.

So i was born in Nicaragua and have a Nicaraguan citizenship. I’ve been living in the US for the past 10 years or so and i’m truly interested in moving over to Europe for a year or two after i graduate from college. I’m not familiar with the rules or anything like that to find visas to work in other countries. I’d be interested in finding a work visa for either France or England. I know it’s almost impossible for US citizens to get a work visa unless they go thru that 6 month program so i’m delaying becoming a US citizen until i come back from Europe after those 2 years hopefully. And i’ve heard that Canadian citizens can get work visas easily for Europe. So is there such a thing where i can work there and maybe if i like it enough get the equivilent of a "green card" in the US? Thanks in advance!

luv_the_beach's profile picture
Eurotrip Points: 2028
Member: 193
Joined: 01/03/2007
User offline. Last seen 10 years 5 weeks ago.

Certain European countries (such as Britain) have agreements with Canada allowing limited-time student-exchange and work-exchange programs for people under a certain age (I think 30?). In fact, each country has its own agreements with various countries around the globe, and some have agreements with the US, others may have agreements with Nicaragua. There is no EU-wide policy on this practice.

You seem to be under the impression that Nicaraguan citizenship is a greater asset in finding work in Europe than US citizenship. This is not the case. A foreigner is a foreigner, no matter where you come from, unless there are political/economic ties between the two respective countries (like EU). The only thing that may help you are agreements between the country you want to work in and the country that has issued you a passport. So, look out for work-exchange programs (these are usually limteid to 6-months time) or go at it yourself by pursuing a work visa.

Once you do manage to get a work visa, if the issuer country is an EU member, you are entitledd technically to work anywhere within the EU. This applies at least to the older 15 members (Austria, Belgium, Britain, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden.) Work-exchange programs probably don’t apply in the EU-wide non-program work visa policy. Furthermore, you may want to check out the newer EU mebers (Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia.) If integration with the other EU mebers is complete, the same thing should apply to the newer members.

There should be a wealth of information on the internet and in bookstores about living abroad. Check these out if your questions still go unanswered. You can also try contacting the respective consulates.

Two things I can think of are specific work-exchange organizations that help set you up on those 6-month exchange programs (you can find them through search engines…just type "work abroad" or "internship abroad&quotWink, or you can go at it alone and finding a job in Europe by yourself (they will then sponsor you, and you apply for your work visa). Lastly, there’s working under the table.