travel advice & savings
2 replies
planning to spend a year in Europe
bareliving's profile picture
New Member
New Member
Eurotrip Points: 11
Member: 31960
Joined: 12/17/2010
User offline. Last seen 13 years 17 weeks ago.

Hi everyone!
I’m new to this forum, not sure if this is the right place to ask the questions I wanna ask, but I would still appreciate some feedbacks.
I’m planning a trip to Europe next year, hoping to stay for 8 months to one year. I intend to spend a few months working, just to put a few more hundreds to the budget; and the rest traveling. I have Canadian Passport, and I’m 21, which means I should have no problems with obtaining a working holiday visa. My question is, for those European countries that do not have this option, do I need to apply for a visa? (please keep in mind that I’m planning to stay for quite a long period of time)
I’m aware that there is something called Schengen visa, it allows the visitor to travel freely within its member countries for up to 90 days. It wouldn’t possibly be 90 days for each country right? What can someone do when the visa is expired? Can you renew it? Or you simply have leave?

Thank you for your time.

jhnrbrts's profile picture
Eurotrip Points: 217
Member: 23852
Joined: 03/29/2010
User offline. Last seen 12 years 25 weeks ago.

as long as you have working holiday visa you’ll be fine

SearchingForYourZen's profile picture
New Member
New Member
Eurotrip Points: 20
Member: 124526
Joined: 12/29/2013
User offline. Last seen 10 years 16 weeks ago.

Hey there.

First of all I am no expert on visas… but I was under the impression that the Working Holiday Visa was for Great Britain (available for Canadians … I am American so I don’t think I can get it). That said, Great Britain is not part of the Shengen Zone. You can stay in Britain for 180 days and then you would have to leave for 180 days. The Shengen Zone allows you to stay inside for 90 days (out of a 180 day period) and it applies for every country in the Shengen… meaning you can travel to every country for 90 days, but after that you can not go back to any of the Shengen countries again until the 180 day period is over (which really sucks).

I’m not sure if that working holiday visa is good throughout Europe… I am pretty sure it is not though.

Good luck! Europe can be really hard to work in legally as a Canadian or American. I’m curious how it works out for you.

Btw… if you find you need to leave europe and you have over stayed your visa, I have heard Spain and Italy are the most lenient countries. Switzerland is NOT lenient, don’t leave from there if you overstay.